Dear Band Family,
I hope all are well! It’s THAT time of year again! Our marching band camp meeting is tomorrow, Sunday, July 21st at 6:00 PM in the theater and camp rehearsals start at 8:00 AM on Monday morning!
Just a few reminders heading into camp:
– Prepare to hydrate yourselves…start hydrating now, drinking plenty of water over the next couple days so you are ready for Monday. Remember if you start only drinking water Monday morning, you are behind. Each student should bring at least a 1/2 gallon water jug every day if possible. Students, you will go through this jug several times each camp day! Avoid soda, energy drinks, and milk.
– Eat good foods and be sure to eat breakfast every day. Avoid overly sugary foods and dairy (especially milk) on hot days. Students, please be sure to eat breakfast each morning so your body has enough fuel to burn for physical activity.
– Be sure you have appropriate athletic clothes…gym shorts, t-shirts, socks, tennis shoes (no sandals or other non athletic shoes that won’t be able to handle marching), hats….and plenty of sunscreen. Apply sunscreen before 8 AM and reapply during water breaks in the morning and afternoons.
– Get plenty of sleep. Usually this isn’t a problem after camp gets started as the students will work hard each day! 🙂 However, rest is essential to prepare for camp.
– Have instrument and equipment every day. Folks renting marching instruments will get an instrument Monday.
– Be sure to know the schedule…it is posted under the calendar link at www.henryclayband.org. Week 1 schedule is 8:00 AM-12:00 PM rehearsal, 12-1 PM lunch (pack lunch and dinner or have it delivered), 1:00-5:00 PM rehearsal, 5-6:30 dinner, 6:30-9:00 PM rehearsal.
*Students should pack lunch and dinner or have food brought to them. There is enough time for older students to leave during dinner, but the hour for lunch is tight and students should have food with them.*
– Remember, Marching Band is an advanced credit class at Henry Clay HS and all participating students receive a grade and 1/2 year elective credit for completion of the requirements. All Band Camp and season rehearsals are mandatory for participation in the HC marching band.
*Any absences should be emergencies or something unavoidable and submitted to me in writing at least a week in advance (email works well). Great communication is the key! Students must make up the grade for any time missing. Remember, we are all relying on each other to be successful so absences hurt the whole group and lead to individuals not being prepared for an activity that takes tremendous coordination of all elements and performers.
– Please review the attached PDF again on ways to get prepared!
The staff and I are excited for another exhilarating journey this marching season! See you tomorrow!
Director of Bands
Henry Clay High School